This is one of the first milks that I attempted to make a couple of years ago when I first started having tummy problems. I found I could tolerate carton oat milk quite well and started getting through more and more as I was using it for more than just breakfast. the beauty of this milk is that I doesn’t require and fancy equipment, I have even made it without a blender.
However it does work best with a blender but only requires blending for about ten seconds. The milk is as simple as a quick soak, quick blend, strain through a sieve and ta-da! You can have the whole process done in as little as five minutes if you are really in a hurry. The only down side with oat milk is it goes a bit strange if you heat it up. It works fine in things like cooking but to drink as hot milk it almost turns into a thick porridge liquid. So if you want hot milk with coco pops then use a different alternative!
- 1 cup of oats
- 3 cups water
- Optional: vanilla extract and/or sweetener of you choice
- Put oats in a jug and cover with fresh water. Leave to soak for up to 20 minutes (the longer you soak the creamier the results)
- Drain oats though a sieve and give a quick rinse. This helps your milk be less starchy and more ‘oaty’
- Put rinsed oats in the blender with the 3 cups of water and sweetener (if using) and blend for 10 seconds
- Strain mixture though a fine sieve back into the jug and pour into alternative bottle/container if you wish. I normally just leave mine in the jug. and put into the fridge
- Consume within a week